Monday, June 29, 2009

Gardening

Several months of work are finally paying off:

Two rows of carrots doing splendidly.



Strawberries - a last minute addition to the garden that I wish I'd gotten into earlier. They're doing okay, but I'm not sure.



Tomatoes are doing amazing, I just hope they turn so I don't end up with a glut of green hard rocks to play with.




The french beans have been hit with a blight of spider (?) mites. A bit of insecticide has stemmed the tide and they're starting to recover, but only just.



My runner beans have been struggling, but are finally bearing fruit.



Corn! Growing just fine and fruiting earlier than expected, though I was hoping for some taller plants to be honest.



My four Courgette/Zucchini plants are overwhelming me. They grow fast and furiously. My poor spinach and beans had to build fences to keep the courgette menace out of their personal space.



Spinach - quick growing and super plentiful. I've been eating this like crazy in the past few weeks (and it keeps coming!).



Two rows of various lettuces give me a nice salad every few days.



And my windowsill garden:

Hot peppers are starting to show through. If every flower turns into a pepper I'm SCREWED.



Cherry tomatoes are starting to come up nicely. This is the first one to turn red, but I've got another 40 or so just on this plant. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Suse said...

Are you growing the hot peppers indoors or outdoors? If indoors you have to do a bit o' plant pimping by transplanting pollen between the flowers. I did that and I have ended with a great number of fruits on my cayenne chilli plants (which are really hot).

Syd Clarke said...

You're gonna have a bunch of peppers. I recommend jellying, pickling, lots of salsa, freezing, halving -> seeding -> roasting -> pureeing -> freezing in ice cube trays for a instant peppery addition to any hot meal.

Unknown said...

Damn Mat....when you said you were gardening, you weren't kidding!

Everything looks sooooo amazing, I am making myself a salad in honour of your fine work (although I am sure it won't be nearly as good).

Your squash plants look amazing. The blossoms are the best part....stuff them with something yummy (like crab) and enjoy!